By Julie Hamilton
2019!! I just can’t believe this year has come! I remember in 2000 thinking that 2020 is so far away and here we are only one year away! Time seems to be flying faster and faster. A word that the Lord has really impressed upon me in the last few years is “purposeful”. As I am praying to be in God’s will each day I really want my life to count and to bring God glory. I don’t want to get to the end of my life and say, “Gosh, I wish I had done more of such and such, or I wish I hadn’t wasted those years on so and so.” So, I decided to look at my life and to make prayerful and purposeful choices. To ask myself, is this choice within God’s will for me? Will this bring Him glory? I must admit that I do not have this down but I really want this to be my focus. As I was reading my Bible plan for this year I came across Proverbs 2:1-6. It really struck me as I looked towards what God would have me do in this new year. It admonished me,
“My son, if you will receive my words and treasure my commandments within you, make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding; For if you cry for discernment, lift your voice for understanding; If you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will discern the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.”
This is the answer!! As we seek the Lord for our lives this year He has said that He will give us wisdom! How do we do this?
- We must read His word to receive His words. Make sure that you have a daily quiet time, praying and reading God’s word.
- Treasure God’s commandments within us. I know the things I treasure I hold close to my heart. I want to attain to this with God’s commandments and His word.
- Make your ear attentive to wisdom. I think this is where the “purposeful” part of my focus comes in. I need to be “purposeful” in listening to the Lord’s wisdom.
- Incline your heart to understanding. I think this is being “purposeful” again in having my heart really seek to understand.
- Cry for discernment. I need to really pray that the Lord would make me discerning. This is very important as you are raising your children, and then when they are adults, giving counsel.
- Lift your voice for understanding. This is another time to really pray to understand circumstances, situations and for wisdom.
- Seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures. I know that when I am searching for the “perfect…” I am so diligent and will go out of my way to find it. This is how I need to be as I seek God’s wisdom in my life!!
“Then you will discern the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God.” God asks us to do the above tasks and He promises us that we will discern the fear of the Lord and discover His knowledge! Think about this. God’s knowledge is so HUGE that there is no way we could even begin to comprehend it, but I do want to try!
“For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” This is my favorite part of the verse. God grants us wisdom and it goes back to the beginning, we need to read His word because that is where we will find knowledge and understanding. I just love this!!
Can you imagine if we earnestly sought wisdom; if we inclined our hearts to understanding and really focused on asking God to open our hearts to His will? I wonder how amazing that would be for each one of us?
I think in this next month I will focus on this verse and see what God will do! Will you join me? It always excites me to see the hand of God at work.